Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Huey




As I draw closer to hitting the flight line, I should explain to you all what I'll be flying. If you saw my first post, you'd say the UH-1N "Huey." That's close, but I messed up. To be correct, the model is actually the H model rather than the more recent N-version.

Regardless, the Huey has a long standing history of use across all service branches. Most of you will recall its use in the Vietnam War. In fact, some of the birds we're flying here are recycled from Vietnam! Yes, these boys are old. You can supposedly see bullet holes on parts of the skin. Now don't worry about them falling apart. The maintenance shop here meticulously takes care of these fragile birds.

Anyways, it's pretty awesome to know that I'll be flying something that was flown in combat four decades ago by pilots younger than myself. In fact, the Huey is the only trainer in the USAF that is a warbird (i.e. flown in combat). This helicopter is a piece of history . It's legendary. Let's hope that I don't spoil her reputation.



Find lots of pictures and information about the Huey here:

http://www.aircav.com/huey/uhgal01/uhgal01.html




No comments:

Post a Comment