Friday, December 18, 2009

One More Before the Holidays

It's been a while since I last made a post on this blog. I've been learning how to fly in instrument conditions (that means flying in the clouds - where there's no discernable horizon). Well, I wasn't kidding when I said that it's not all that exciting - hence my lack of posts.


Good news: instruments have come to an end. I passed my checkride today, just in time for the holiday break. So what comes next? Now things start to get exciting.



Gone are the days of flying at a couple thousand feet and landing on a prepared runway. Now, we start flying 100 feet above the trees and landing in farmer Joe's field. Shortly thereafter, we do this with another helicopter a couple hundred feet away (in formation). Welcome to the tactical phase of training.


I won't be starting tactical training until the new year. So for now, it's time for a much needed break! In the meantime here's a video to watch. It doesn't have much to do with what I'll be doing as a student, but it's pretty cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment